Call us to set up an appointment! Burlington (905) 681-2604 Hamilton (855) 749-7469

The Role of Insurance Coverage in the Burlington and Hamilton Back Surgery or Non-Surgical Care Choice

“Back surgery is one of the most overused types of surgery as well as the most common ailment that sends patients to doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists,” reports Crain’s Detroit Business magazine’s article titled Health Insurers Look for Ways to Cut Costs with Back Surgery. What a way to start an article! It continues:

  • $90 billion on low back pain alone annually
  • 1.2 million spinal surgeries annually
  • $60,000 to $110,000 per lumbar fusion surgery (the fastest-growing type of surgery in the past 10 years)

The back surgery failure rate, the so-called “failed back syndrome” or the more “politically correct” term “post-surgical continued pain syndrome,” may be as high as 50%. (1) With healthcare spending in the US exceeding $3.5 trillion - $10,739 a person – it’s no wonder that insurers seek another way to cut costs, especially when one-third of the money is spent for hospital care of chronic illnesses. (2) Spinal Care Clinic is well-trained and knowledgeable in offering non-hospital-based care to help Burlington and Hamilton back pain – chronic and acute – patients get relief of and handle their back pain – and post-surgical continued back pain - without surgery.

LOW BACK PAIN FACTS

Low back pain is the foremost reason of years lived with disability around the world. Today, guidelines for low back pain relief care discourage pain medications, steroid injections and spine surgery and encourage physical therapy and psychological therapy. Healthcare systems are apt to struggle with these new approaches. Why? Pharmaceutical companies’ financial interests, old payment systems that favor medical care, outdated traditions, and legal, personal, political, and societal beliefs of us all. These concepts are presented in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, believe it or not. (3) Spinal Care Clinic reads this with interest.

BACK SURGERY CHOICE

Considering these facts, it’s not hard to believe that some back pain sufferers will choose back surgery over non-surgical care of their back pain. “Patients go where insurance pays, even if it is surgery.” In one study, back pain sufferers made the choice to see a primary care physician (PCP) or physical therapist (PT) or chiropractor first based on their health plan type, co-payment, and deductible. Modifying these factors to make them more valuable/less expensive/less restrictive as to provider type could inspire low back pain sufferers to choose non-hospital, conservative treatment instead of back surgery. (4) Spinal Care Clinic is all for this! Less than 1% of back pain sufferers require back surgery. (5) Spinal Care Clinic is ready to assist the remaining 99% of the Burlington and Hamilton back pain sufferers cope with their back pain and adapt their lifestyles to be with the spine they have and deal with its episodes of pain and relief.

RECURRENT BACK PAIN

Burlington and Hamilton back pain sufferers are not alone if their back pain returns. It happens. It’s controllable. It is manageable. Some facts first: Within a year of recovery, 69% of patients had another episode of back pain of some sort. What risks trigger a recurrence of back pain? Awkward postures, long sitting times, and more than 2 prior back pain experiences. (6) It’s ok though. Really! Spinal Care Clinic helps Burlington and Hamilton back pain patients navigate these recurrences and deal with them so they don’t limit anyone’s enjoyment of life.  We have a treatment plan!

CONTACT Spinal Care Clinic

Listen to Dr. Kimble Cater on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson discuss how he helped an expectant mother with her repeated episodes of back pain. Whether you’re pregnant or not, Burlington and Hamilton chiropractic care at Spinal Care Clinic can help you cope with repeated episodes of back pain, too.

Schedule a Burlington and Hamilton chiropractic appointment at Spinal Care Clinic for back pain relief. Our care is not overused!  The gentle, effective, evidence-based system of Cox® Technic seeks 50% relief within 4-6 weeks of care and often gets 70%, 80%, 90% and greater for many of our patients at less cost – in terms of finances and lifestyle – than back surgery.

Spinal Care Clinic realizes that back pain sufferers may choose their back pain treatment option based on insurance coverage. If insurance pays for back surgery, will you choose that?  
 
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page."